Shuffleboard conjures up images of retired folk on cruises to Florida heaving disks along the deck. But that’s all about to change. Shuffleboard is meeting the 21st century head on in Canary Wharf.
Electric Shuffle is the first activity bar of its kind. It is set to open at 10 Cabot Square, on Friday 29 November.
Electric Shuffle takes the core elements of shuffleboard and mixes them up with new technology. This creates what we’re told will be a “fast-flowing, mesmerising game which will have participants screaming with joy and watchers desperately waiting for their turn”.
Visitors will step up to the shuffle table, which can hold up to 16 people at any one time, and take part in three different games, each inspired by a shuffleboard element. There are 10 semi-private shuffle tables in the venue.
Electric Shuffle will offer a selection of craft beers and cocktails, alongside a seasonal menu including sharing plates, pizza paddles and special. It holds 350 people.
Steve Moore and Paul Barham, Electric Shuffle co-founders, are also behind Flight Club, a chain of bars that gave darts a social makeover. Flight Club currently operates in Shoreditch, Bloomsbury and Victoria.
They said: “Since 2015, we’ve been on a mission to deliver exhilarating social experiences to as many people as possible. From a pipe dream in a Devon pub, to an ever-growing family of Flight Club venues, it’s been an incredible journey so far.
“Now, it’s time for the next step; a surprisingly competitive, delightfully immersive and outrageously thrilling transformation of another traditional pastime.
“Shuffleboard’s exciting mix of skill and chance and its rich, but sadly forgotten history made it the obvious choice for our next step. It’s a game which has captivated everyone from Henry VIII through to the village landlord. And our modern twist will wow Canary Wharf.”
Bookings can be made here: www.electricshuffle.com. Anyone wishing to attend the launch preview on Thursday 28 November should contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Electric Shuffle is located at 10 Cabot Square, North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 4EY
- There are 10 semi-private shuffle tables in the venue. Each has a capacity for 16 people to play at any one time.
- There’s two event spaces with shuffle tables that can be linked together for larger groups
- The two event spaces available for hire are named after two female scientists; the Jemison (capacity of 50) and Biberdorf’s Upstairs bar (capacity of 100).
- Peak hours (Monday–Friday, after 4pm) and all-day Saturday – £40p/h
- Off-peak hours (Monday–Friday, before 4pm) and all-day Sunday – £20p/h